Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Crappy Stickers

It's been a while since I made any stencils. Yesterday I tried to do a little fluffy corgi sticker. Here's the stencil drying:







It came out crappy! There were too many tiny details that just got smudged and lost. I guess it's been too long, and I didn't remember how hard it is to get anything to come through when you're applying paint with a roller. Also I used too long of a roller.






Also I had run out of card stock so I picked up some acetate with the idea that it would not get so sodden with paint. I was actually right about that. But I think the fiber of the card had kept me from going too tiny with details, whereas the acetate let me get way finer than I could have otherwise (not that I put it to any good use), and definitely too fine to show up when I applied paint.



So maybe I'll be able to salvage four or five, especially if I sharpie on a caption so you can tell what it's supposed to be. And I took the opportunity to do up a couple sets of blanks in that green, which is handy. But I'm not sure what to do with the stencil design...blow it up big enough to save the details, try to simplify it without losing what it's supposed to be, or just throw it out?

No comments: