Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Warshington Noob

I came across a blog post that mentions Aplets & Cotlets. Horrible name, I know. "Cotlets." Jesus. But the blogger claims that, "growing up in Washington State, [she] always got [Aplets & Cotlets] as Christmas presents" and she hated them.

I have never heard of such a thing. The only holiday candies I associate with the Evergreen State (that's us, right?) are Almond Roca and the chocolates you get at Nordstroms's. Or possibly the Bon Marche. But they are basically less flavorful versions of fudge. I think she's from Eastern Washington, though, so maybe they do things DIFFERENT out there.

"Aplets." Christ almighty.

It looks like Turkish delight, which I don't find terrible. I do remember that it was immensely disappointing after only knowing about it from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Definitely not worth selling one's soul for or whatever.

1 comment:

DU said...

I tried visiting the site, but my browser couldn't run the aplet.

But seriously folks tip your waitress and also you know what else is way worse than Turkish delight (which I've never had)? Hoarhound candy. (A worse name than "aplet" too.) It's basically dried maple syrup.

The cycle of Laura Ingalls Wilder's's betrayal of American children is broken here.