Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What it do, Travis!

Since I've been playing Scrabulous on Facebook, I've always noticed, and been mildly annoyed by, the little foreign-language greetings they use to welcome you to the main screen:

Scrabulous greeting me with 'G'day!'

For some reason it never really occurred to me that Flickr has always done the same thing:

Flickr greeting me with 'Yasou!'

Is this some sort of Web 2.0 standard or something? Does Ruby have a library function that returns a random international salutation?

Thinking about this also rememberized me to the fact that the school computer system in college named its individual servers this same way, each one a different word for "hello" in some other language. So when you'd telnet to cunix.cc.columbia.edu, it would actually connect you to, say, aloha.cc.columbia.edu if that had the fewest users at the time.

Anyway, so I guess it's just some geek thing thought up by dorks.

No comments: