Monday, May 19, 2008

The Red-Green Show

I was thinking about color-blindness the other day as I was trying to wrap my head around some coordinate issues I was having in Blender and noted how much even more confusing it would all be if I couldn't tell the color-coded axes apart on the screen.

For some reason the importance of not relying on red/green distinctions is like the only thing that stuck with me from the user interface design course Andrew and I took in college. Hullabaloo's Tristero has a post up on the problems that can arise from overreliance on color distinctions in diagrams.

There's also this excerpt of Oliver Sacks' that has some really interesting analogies between absolute versus relative pitch and different experiences of color vision, including disorders.

No comments: