Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Computer Fun

A while ago I was looking through the software that came bundled with my laptop, and I came across something called "LightScribe." I hadn't heard of that before, but it turned out to be this crazy feature that uses the laser in your CD burner to print labels onto specially manufactured blank CD's:

Original and backup copies of CD

This was my first time using it, and I guess the results are about what you'd expect. It took a full 20 minutes to print a label that was mostly empty space, the color is a dull gray on khaki, and I paid $15 for 20 of the special CD-R's, which I think is what blank CD's cost in like 1998. But it does actually work, and even the smaller type came out nice and crisp.

Really I'm just happy that this kind of goofy invention gets made. It reminds me of Thunderscan, the product where you replaced your ImageWriter's ribbon cartridge with an optical sensor to turn it into a scanner.

No comments: